A lot of roads in the eastern part of the Park experienced severe damage from Irene and are closed until they can be repaired.
Here is a list of road closings in Essex County: Public Road Closings
You should avoid these roads and comply with all detour and closure signs. Seriously, at best you will be getting in the way and delaying efforts to repair these roads… at worst you will be putting yourself and others in danger.
However, that being said, the area IS still accessible and you should come visit us!! Local businesses are open (or are re-opening soon) and can use your support.
Here are directions to Lake Placid and Keene that take into account the major road closings, such as Rt. 73 heading south out of Keene Valley.
From Albany and other points South
- Take I-87, Adirondack Northway, North to Exit 31 ~ 116 miles
- At exit ramp from I-87 turn left and head West on Route 9N toward Elizabethtown ~ 4.5 mles to Elizabethtown
- Continue to follow Route 9N toward Keene/Keene Valley to intersection with Route 73 ~ 10 miles to
- If your Destination is Keene Valley: turn left on Route 73 continue 5 miles to Keene Valley
- If your Destination is Lake Placid: Turn right on Route 73 and follow for 16 miles into Lake Placid
Total mileage from Exit 31 to Lake Placid is approximately 30 miles (which is the same distance as from Lake Placid to Exit 30, via Keene Valley)
Your total “out of the way” mileage is only 12 miles between exits 30 and 31
- Take Exit 30 for Keene/Keene Valley on the Northway, the one you would typically take if you were driving to Keene and Keene Valley or if you are passing through to Lake Placid.
- When you reach the “Dysfunction Junction” (you know… that wild intersection that looks like this) bear right toward Elizabethtown Rt 9 instead of going straight toward Lake Placid/Whiteface
- This will take you through New Russia and into Elizabethtown where you will see a sign pointing you toward Keene. It will be a left onto 9N North and this will bring you back to Rt 73.
From Montreal and other points North
- From Route I 87 South, merge onto RT-22 N via EXIT 38N toward RT-374 W/Dannemora/Saranac Lake and travel 0.6 mi
- Stay straight to go onto RT-374 W and travel 7.3 mi
- Take the RT-3 ramp toward Cadyville/Saranac Lake and travel 0.4 mi
- Stay straight to go onto RT-3S and travel 34.2 mi
- Turn left onto RT-3. and travel 6.4 mi
- RT-3 is 0.1 miles past Mill Ln
- If you are on Main St and reach Vine St you’ve gone about 0.1 miles too far
- Stay straight to go onto Bloomingdale Ave/RT-86.
- If your Destinaiton is Lake Placid: Turn left on Church St. (Rt. 86). Follow Rt. 86 into Lake Placid – approximately 10 miles
- If your Destination is Keene and Keene Valley: Turn left on Church St. (Rt. 86). Follow Rt. 86 through Ray Brook 6.1 miles to Old Military Road.
- Turn Right onto Old Military Road and continue for 3.6 miles
- Merge right onto Route 73 follow Route 73 12 miles to Keene and 17.5 miles to Keene Valley.
Take routes south to the Cornwall Bridge. Pick up Route 37 east to Malone. Follow Route 30 south to Paul Smiths and pick up Route 86. Follow Route 86 and continue to Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. Drive time: 3 hours.
Take 401 east to Cornwall Bridge. Pick up Route 37 east to Malone. Follow Route 30 south to Paul Smiths and pick up Route 86. Continue on 86 to Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. Drive time: 5 1/2 hours.
From Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Points West:
Take I-90 (NY State Thruway) east to Exit 36 (Syracuse). Pick up I-81 north and follow to Watertown. Take Route 3 and follow it east to Saranac Lake, then follow Route 86 east to Lake Placid. Drive times: From Buffalo: 5 1/2 hours; Rochester: 4 1/2 hours; Syracuse: 3 1/2 hours.
** Thanks to LakePlacid.com for posting these directions!